Last night. It’s almost exciting isn’t it? Only one day left and I’ll never have to think about English Paper 1 again. No more reading comprehensions to be done in half an hour, no more personal essays to be hashed together in less than one hour while writing so fast that it eventually becomes illegible. But tonight, however, I’m thinking about it more than ever. What last minute preparations can I make to improve my writing just by even a little bit? What divine inspiration can I get so I can predict what will come up so I can start my planning now? Well I thought I’d write a blog. This is technically English right? I swear I’ll come out laughing if a part B question asking something like;
“Imagine your writing a blog post for a website aimed at Leaving Cert. students. What advice would would you give them as they prepare for the exams?”
That’s possible! I think. Well one can dream, can’t they? But in all seriousness I think I’m definitely going for the article type questions. That’s just the register I’m used to.
So this blog is as much for you (the reader) as it is for me (the crammer) as I am going to lay down my thoughts as they come to me:
1. Don’t just write down your thoughts as they come to you. That’s bad. Plan your writing or else you’ll f*** it up and resort to using swear words to cover up your lack of planning.
2. Cram the night before. Literally just go through the text books cover to cover in one last final attempt to actually remember something! Something you might feel useful is reading the index of the textbooks (sciences and geography) and just look up the terms/ people you didn’t know.
3. As a part of cramming for English paper 2 I’m just going to go over quotes from poetry and hamlet. For example, I’m relying on Emily Dickinson to come up so I’ll revise three quotes from each poem. So that’s 18 quotes. If I’m smart, I’ll do the same for Boland as a back up!
4. Back to paper 1 for a moment, plan out some general essays that may come up tomorrow; the future, the environment, the leaving cert. Etc…. you know, stuff we like to give out about.
5. Anyone got folens maths exam papers? Well if you do look up the first couple of pages and you’ll see a decent enough summary of everything on the course. For example I hope everyone remembers summation formulae. If I wasn’t typing this all on my itouch I’d paste them here. Look them up! ( also I’m sure edco give a similar summary)
6. Stop writing!! If your like me than you’re used to studying by writing out notes and rewriting stuff you’ve written. It’s time to give that up. You’ll cram must faster by just reading and/or highlighting. I’m not sure how highlighting makes sense since your never gonna read that book ever again but I think it helps.
7. Cramming is what the Leaving Cert. is all about. I call it the final part of studying. It makes up for the middle part of studying, which occurred between Sept. 2010 and June 2011 and was practically non-existent!
Finally I’d like to conclude by wishing everyone good luck in the exams. I know it’s going to be tough for us for the next two and a half weeks. I’d also like to congratulate anyone who made to the end of this blog and for wasting precious crammmmming minutes! If anyone wants to adopt this style of article writing I would be quite flattered but also very disappointed……. by your lack of taste! Please don’t copy me. I need this for my C!