I hate to be the voice of reason here. But the reactions to English Paper 2 have been a bit extreme. I feel I should go over this with a calmer, more logical approach.
Why this isn’t so bad
1. Probably the most important: the contigency paper was made independently of the leaked one, by two different sets of folk. This means that most likely the paper is very similar to the original one. Everyone seems to think that the leaked paper was made, and then the same people who made it then made the contingency paper, which was made to be like, the opposite. This is not the case. The contingency paper was made as if it was the normal paper. They were made to be interchangeable. They could be identical, because the two exam writers didn’t confer. In fact, I doubt either of them even knew which one was going to be the back-up.
In other words, the probability values are the same. It’s just a re-roll. There’s still about a 95% of Bishop coming up.
2. Obviously, there’s now a little more time to study for it.
Things that won’t help
1. A petition to change the date. How would that help, but to prolong the suffering? People’s panic stems from the idea that they now don’t know what to study. Postponing the exam doesn’t address that issue at all. It’s just an illogical answer to make panicky people feel better. The only argument for this that makes some semblence of sense is that doing it this Saturday would cut into our study time for Maths/Irish on Monday. You could, of course, just use today to focus on Maths/Irish, as I intend to do. I mean, you still have Friday afternoon for Paper 2 (and you only found out yesterday, so really you’ve only gained time here. I mean, I probably wasn’t going to wake up early on Saturday to study anyway)
2. Blowing up Louth. Though fun, would be terrorism. Which is bad.
3. Refusing to sit the exam. By all means, be my guest. In a way, it weeds out the panicky illogical folk mentioned above. As epic as it would be, it’s also stupid. The LC just isn’t worth taking a stand on. It’s a pathetic excuse for an exam that I just want to scrape by and forget.
4. Setting yourself on fire in front of the SEC headquarters. The first time that monk did it in Vietnam it was funny. Now it’s just gotten boring and clichéd.
All this chaos and anger and confusion and desperation is a little over-the-top. I mean, most people weren’t all that worried by how little they had studied. Then when they find out it may not even matter (which evidently isn’t true) they freak.
Just goes to show that people are more scared of change than they are of anything else.
Also, check http://leaving-cert.net/macbeth-quotez/ for Macbeth quotes (and a funny piss-take of it)